The keep-it-going Stroll FUNdraiser!
It’s a special evening of a friendly poetry competition at On The Rocks bar, 11740 Jasper Avenue. The money raised goes straight to Stroll of Poets programming.
HOW DOES THIS WORK?
1) The first 12 poets through the door with $20 are the competitors.
2) There will be 5 judges of non-poets chosen from the crowd.
3) The three judging criteria are:
* The Delivery- confidence, control and command.
* Crowd Interaction/Response- how crowd reacts to poem and poet.
* Content Comprehension- this is for the individual judge, meaning they are scoring on how they hear the poem and understand it.
4) All three criteria have a maximum score out of ten for a combination of 30 points.
5) The first round will have all 12 poets read one of their own works, then the judges will tally the scores. The top 6 move on to the final round.
6) The top 6 will read one more of their works and once the judges have tallied the scores then there will be three prizes.
7) The first prize is $100, second prize is $50, third prize is $25.
*Tuesday February 16/2016 at On The Rocks, 11740 Jasper Avenue
*Doors and poet sign up at 6:30; Poetry Competition starts at 7pm and goes till 9pm
*To compete the fee is $20 and tickets to watch and support the competitors are $10, one free drink included (before 10 pm). We will have tickets available at The Stroll Haven or at the door the evening of the fundraiser.
*Poets who are competing are asked to bring two of your best pieces and make sure each poem DOES NOT exceed 2 minutes.
Come One, Come All! Bring your best. Be the “Poet On Fire”-And you might walk away with cash!
The Stroll is Edmonton’s longest-running poetry organization and an open door for poets at all levels of experience. Help keep it going/growing. Can’t make it to the competition? Drop a donation in the box at the next regular Stroll event or send a cheque to: Stroll of Poets c/o Ellen Kartz, Partnerships and Communication Coordinator, Writers’ Guild of Alberta, Percy Page Centre, 11759 Groat Road Edmonton AB T5M 3K6.